Tuesday 2 November 2010

Fabulously British!

At the moment I am looking at everyday British life.

Coming from a Northern mainly working class town growing up I resented it and couldn't wait to depart to somewhere prettier. I find that after being apart from my town for so long that when I go back to visit my views are much changed. I see things that I used to hate in a completely different light. I love the simplicity and honesty in the mundane that I used to hate, looking for beauty in the everyday. Greasy spoon cafes, pubs, terraced streets, boarded up shops/houses, buses, graffiti, derelict, arcades, littered streets, working means clubs. I find comfort in the honesty and straightforwardness, they are what they are. There not pretending to be something gastronomic or putting on pretence. They may not be pretty and decadent but in there own way they are beautiful.

I am going to explore the theme of everyday life, looking at everyday, mundane, typical hard working class ideas and scenes. I want to look at peoples, places, objects, everyday scenarios. I want my passion for this idea and the feeling of my hometown to flow through the project from start to finish. Showing the beauty in something that may otherwise be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment